Thursday, March 24, 2011

Your work!

All,

I was just looking over your work with another brain and they were so excited about the images of the zines, but they wanted to know more about your INTENTIONS!

It made me think. If you FLESH OUT your intentions. Ask yourselves, "Why do I want people to have this experience? What do I want them to Learn/Think/Fantasize about? And how can I get them to do that even more!

I had a prof. in college who said, "Do you care what people think?" I said, "Not really" and she replied, "Well, your work has some heavy fascist undertones." And I balked! "WHAT?" She explained and I realized that my work was not connected to the history of what I intended, but more to the aesthetic of the propaganda around Fascism!
SO, I researched images of what I wanted to say- VISUALLY! What images existed in history that had my message....sort of a family history of MY MESSAGE! Then I plugged in those elements and VOILA! The message read more clearly, while still being me.

SO,

1. In WORDS: Clarify what you want to say/do and get it REALLY SPECIFIC! Expand it, Play with it, then PICK IT APART until it says EXACTLY what you want in WORDS. (10 minutes sitting with a grumpy friend will help with this! As they tend to speak their mind.)
2. Considering the WORD you came up with: Look for images that create that thought or mood in you.
3. Compare your project to those images, what could you ADD to yours or how could you ADJUST yours to reflect the CLARIFIED INTENTION you now have?

I think these projects are really powerful and full of your SOULS- so I am excited to see them perfected!

Be well have a great weekend!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment