Thursday, March 24, 2011

HELP!!!

Ok so I just sent this to Thomas and Julia, if anyone has any feedback let me know!!!


Ok so I've been making a million of those word collages. I made a short stop motion of the collages forming and coming together, but it's only alright. And i was thinking that I could fill the background with solid colors like those that move through the text, but I would need to make a stop motion of about 200 slides and making one for 40 took me about an hour and a half :/ But the thing about this all is that I'm not too sure if the word collage thing is really that powerful. I mean the beginning part will be INTENSE, especially with the paint on my face and the colors flashing (don't thin I will include sound it will be "trippy" but that is not really my aesthetic).

What i want from the word collages is to take words from their connotations and literally redefine them as images. There's a poet, Leslie Scalapino, who speaks of seeing a No Drama when she was little. She didn't understand the words, but she gained an almost fluent understanding of the drama because of the motions and emotions of the actor's words. I want to replicate this with image. I want to deconstruct "Negro," "White," "Purple" and show how insufficient these words are in describing identity of anything from a person to a vase.

The collages that I made are supposed to display motion, but for some reason (I haven't been able to project them yet, I'm, using a studio with my friend tomorrow) I don't think that they are powerful images. I want to make a transition from painting my face black and white (like in the first part with the flashing colors) to literally projecting the words onto my face to projecting patterns onto my face. I want the collages (patterns) to really shake the audience. Should I make the colors "vibrate"? Change the colors to what I know would vibrate? Would that display my idea in a more impactful way?

You said to cross limits and make people offended and I just don't feel like I'm there yet (although black and white face should get me relatively close to this). What do you think?!

Nick

1 comment:

  1. "Leslie Scalapino, who speaks of seeing a No Drama when she was little. She didn't understand the words, but she gained an almost fluent understanding of the drama because of the motions and emotions of the actor's words."

    in my opinion, one can understand the context of the word because of the sound of the word and the gestures of the person. Like when you see a foreign language film. I dont really think i fully understand the need to make word patterns. I like the aesthetics of the piece, and the color part seems very appealing. As for the word collage, The ones i think you showed last time were very intricate and dynamic, but i think it fails in showing your intention. maybe showing plain words rather than patterns would be more effective. and maybe think abou the color of the words. what if the work black is yellow? and white is brown?

    Maria

    ReplyDelete