Thursday, March 3, 2011

shin's zine proposal


The pieces of surrealist artist Magritte evoke imagination, inspiration to see beyond the literal or actual view. It is creative and creates depth. Although he created flat paintings, I feel that this piece has multiple depths, from the bird being at the forefront, to the man behind it, and then the blue space being furthest away from the viewer. Other Magritte pieces carry this similar behavior which are intriguing. There seems to be an opportunity for the viewer to use his/her imagination in between the depths of the painting. Perhaps these can be words or images.
I would like to create a zine to illustrate my thoughts. It will be a book. The material of the paper will be clear, so that initially, the entire painting itself shows. But as a page is flipped, there will be words/images that will be revealed. (For instance, when the first page (a bird painting on clear paper) is flipped, the words/images that were initially covered by the bird will be revealed.) This technique will also separate Magritte's colors individually on a different page, which will be very interesting to see apart from the whole.



1 comment:

  1. Shin, do some quick COLOR sketches. I need to SEE THIS MORE!
    I think the color will help ILLUMINATE the story. That would be great. But with Magritte their was always a TWIST. What is the twist here? Do the stories twist the image? As in, if I think this man is a mystery and then I flip the page and there is a small mirror so that I see ME! OH! Or if the bird is PEACE and then I flip and see a birds skeleton??? OR the skeleton was in BEAUTIFUL color so that at first I thought- "how pretty" but then realized, "what is going on here???"
    Think, do you want to give us answers? Or have us WONDER and ask questions of ourselves?
    GO DO IT! Try both ways and present them this week.
    Be well T

    ReplyDelete