Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Skin Tone Self-Reflection | Liz Rutledge

My perception of my own skin tone changes with the season (my coloring when "tan" and "pale" can totally change my overall appearance through the way my skin tone relates to my hair, eyes, etc) but at this particularly wintery moment, I'd say that my skin is on the light side of the worldwide spectrum. It's definitely not in the palest grouping, and has a little bit of an olive undertone (further evidenced by how much better I look in reds and oranges than a wide variety of the cooler blues) but is lighter than what I would imagine to be average worldwide.


Depending on what part of my skin you were trying to match (whether you were aiming for my hand, the inside of my forearm, my face, my collarbone, etc) I would expect it to include some warmer reds and greens with some white to lighten it up, and I'm sure some nuances of other colors as well. (Maybe some yellow? I'll have to tinker.) It'll be interesting to see what really does go into mixing my own skin color with paints, it would definitely help me in my painting to be able to mix convincing skin tones in order to breathe some life into human subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment