Friday, April 29, 2011

shin's butt project

So my initial plan was to do an installation piece, collecting and dyeing the cigarette butts to bright colors. Every time I passed by Union Sq. Park, I started to collect cigarette butts. Usually, it would be on my way to/back from Whole Foods, and I would store them in the food container that I emptied. It was very disgusting actually, picking up people's cigarette butts, and more so, in the container I just ate out of. I wanted to compare and contrast this feeling with colors, and put the cigarettes in the context that can be related to all types of people (we mentioned in class how I could show a picture of a child picking up a cigarette butt..). Both cigarettes and food come in contact with the mouth, yet feel "clashy" and disturbing when these objects are displayed together.
It is an irony that when my fruit plastic cup contains text as in the photograph I took "made of recycled material" while cigarette butts are made of a type of plastic (cellulose acetate) that are not biodegradable.
I continue to make more iterations of these..




1 comment:

  1. Shin, I love the direction you are going. I like the combination of cigarettes (part plastic) are in recycled plastic container. At this point, many people know that plastic is bad for the environment and attempt to avoid using it, but the same people may not know that cigarettes are made from plastic....The images you have are great. The difference in color and feeling between the veggies and cigarette buts is obvious. The next step is clarifying your message. These images are confusing because I am not sure if your saying "pick up buts and throw then out", " whole foods supports cigarette companies" or "teat your body well, eat veggies and don't smoke". Resolve your intention then you will nail it!

    ReplyDelete